Telomeres and Aging
I’m excited to share some information all can use, and that topic is telomeres and aging.
Telomeres, for many of you may be new and curious. There has been more and more discussed in the integrative medical community and natural health circles in the past several years around telomeres.
So What are Telomeres?
Telomeres are protective caps at the end of each strand of DNA. When we are young your telomeres are long. But every time a cell divides, the telomeres get shorter. So, over time our telomeres get shorter and don't protect the DNA as they did when we were younger. My practice is about identifying what is going on at the cellular level, the energy at the cellular level. We are as healthy as our cells are healthy collectively. After our early twenties, our bodies begin to age, and they age through our telomeres' length shortening.
There are indepth tests to identify the length of your telomeres, and the doctors who do this are few. And, it is expensive. We all know we are aging, but let's slow down the shortening of the telomeres through lifestyle now! Let's get a handle on the length of our telomeres by slowing the decreased length if not increasing their length!!! Really, we can do this.
How we do this is increasing the enzyme, telomerase, to grow length to our telomeres. How we eat, reduce stress, and exercise can make a difference; so I have a list of 6 ideas to help your telomere health. Within my quantum biofeedback device I have an Anti-Aging Program which supports the health of telomeres, along with identifying categories contributing to your aging process. This information is very important to know!!!!! I use this program on myself regularly and others who want to age more gracefully. For those of you who are already receiving regular anti-aging biofeedback, you know you are ahead of the process, you feel and look it!
1. Eat more Fruits and Veggies: Those diets lower in refined carbs and higher in fresh, organic fruits and veggies are linked to longer telomeres. More nutrient dense green leafy vegetables help repair and preserve telomeres. More kale, spinach, swiss chard, seaweed, lentils, almonds, sesame seeds, avocados, spirulina and dark chocolate. Juice more, and make smoothies regularly.
2. Exercise: The more we exercise, the healthy the telomeres and younger we grow. I have heard that the PACE exercise program is specifically designed for anti-aging, and takes 12 minutes.
3. Reduce the Stress: Meditation is the best way to reduce stress and also turn on telomerase activity! "Prayer is when you talk to God; Meditation is when you listen to God." by Diana Robinson.
4. Raise your HDL Levels: Studies have shown that by simply raising your HDL cholesterol you maintain your telomeres and they can become longer. More vitamin E is helpful.
5. Boost your Folic Acid: Folic acid is a B vitamin. More folic acid has shown longer telomeres. Sources: dairy, poultry, meat, eggs, seafood, dark leafy greens including asparagus and brussel sprouts.
6. More Antioxidants: Especially vitamin C - it slows down the shortening of the telomeres and stimulates telomerase activity in the formation and regeneration of stem cells. We want a lot more stem cells for regeneration!!!!! Personally, I take extra buffered C powder each day. Almost everyone I know needs more vitamin C (actually a lot more); take in am and pm.
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I hope you enjoyed this important information! We are in charge of how we feel and look as we age! There is a lot we can do to feel vital long into old age!!!! Let me know if I can help with questions or if you would like a biofeedback session to support your health and longevity goals!
Love, light, and laughter,
Certified Biofeedback Specialist